Friday, July 5, 2013

A Slight Setback


Alright, so Sunday night I got very little sleep. I got about four hours of sleep and that meant that I couldn't train the next day, when we had planned to. Now, with the holiday and all I couldn't go train Thursday and so it sort of threw my whole week off. So what I was going to do was train Tuesday and Wednesday. Since this training has me doing a couple of them back to back most weeks I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I was wrong.

The first day I had to find my 8 rep maxes for all of my overhead stuff. Overhead press, bench press, and the like. That wasn't a big deal. I did it, and some of them were surprisingly high. Higher then I thought they would be. My 8 rep max on the bench, for example, is 95 pounds. That's pretty good considering that my 5 rep max is only 115 pounds. Others, like my Overhead Press, were really low. It's not that surprising, honestly. I probably would of had 70 pounds on the overhead if I hadn't tried to do 75 pounds.

The next day was squat and deadlift day. I always love that day. I did my deadlifts first, and that's where the problems started. I was not able to pull 255 pounds for 5 reps, even though I should have been able to. I can pull 260 pounds for a few reps. Part of the issue is that I'm trying to change my form up a bit to make it more accurate. I was able to pull the weight once when I went back to doing the weight as I normally do it. It was way harder then it should have been, though.

So, I finally decided that I would just have to do a bit of light work. It occurred to me that the high reps from the previous day may have been why I wasn't able to pull the weight. We know I got more then enough sleep the night before, and I've been eating plenty. Sometimes, though, you have to learn these things the hard way. Next time I only have a three day week on this training I will not even attempt to do back to back days. Clearly it wont work.

Now, what I did after the deadlifts was just a few medium weight squats. This is 185 pounds for me. I was getting deep in the squats, though. I also corrected some form issues I had that should help me to go deeper when I do my work weight.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment